Pages

The Marvelous Sisterhood of Islam

Isn't it amazing that one small gesture can make your day so much better? A smile, a nod saying hello or even a hug upon seeing the one's you love can make you feel better. What's more amazing is a religion where this is part of your everyday life. When I started learning about Islam, one of the first things I learned was how welcoming the sister's were. Even when I didn't know any of them, they always greeted me when they saw me. Some even offered a handshake and a hug. I never felt so welcomed and at the time, I never knew that I was embracing something so special and these strangers will suddenly become some of the best friends I have ever known.



It wasn't easy at first getting adjusted to becoming a Muslim. I don't think anyone really realizes how tough it is for one to change religions and change your perception about everything you have learned in the past. Changing religions meant that I had to put things into perspective and change my old ways. It was a fresh start for me but it wasn't easy.

Despite having made mistakes along the way, I couldn't have learned it all by myself. My husband contributed a lot to helping me learn. He was as patient as he could be and I love him for that. Alongside my husband, I met so many wonderful friends at the local mosque who corrected me when I was wrong, who helped me understand why certain things were done the way it was and even offered me Arabic lessons for free! These ladies are considered my sisters. In Islam, we are all brother's and sister's and that's how we refer to each other. My sister's were the one's who helped me get inspired to learn more and be proud of my hijab. I never felt so comfortable with my religion and understand my purpose in life until I became Muslim.

Even outside of the mosque, I am welcomed by my sister's. I learned about a website that is only for sister's and they play lectures 24/7 that relates to the religion. Majority of the week, they also offer free live lecture's by imam's, knowledgeable brothers and sister's who talk specifically to the sister's on topics related to the religion. When I was first introduced to the website by sister Aimee, I couldn't get on as much as I would have loved to. I was always busy with work and when I wasn't at work, I just wanted to relax with my family. Upon moving out of state and becoming a stay at home mom, I have more time to focus on my religion and listen to the educational lectures provided on the website. Now, I'm addicted! I can't go a day without checking in and seeing what is playing or listening to the live lectures.

You might be asking yourself, what is the website? I will tell you this before I tell you what the website is, this group of sisters who made the website possible are so delightful and understanding. The moderators, Amira, Hawa, Magda, and Arjmend, know what it is like to be in my shoes and they understand that we are all there for one purpose, to learn more. These sister's chat with you and talk with you as if they knew you all along. They showed me useful links and videos to help me understand certain things and never criticized me or other sister's who go in the live chat room/lecture room. These sister's are doing a marvelous thing for all Muslim sister's and I encourage all Muslim sister's to take advantage of the services they offer. The name of the group is: Sisters of Sunnah.

The lecturer's are also very welcoming and knowledgeable  They are always answering questions to make things clear. They talk to us in a way so that all Muslim sister's can understand, no matter if they are new or been a Muslim all their life. I feel comfortable asking the imam's questions on topics and their response is always a joyous response, they are glad that we ask questions. They are very passionate about teaching the sister's on various topics. Asking questions to clarify topics only makes you smarter and more aware of your religion. Imam Tariq Abdur Rashid and Brother Ali Abdul-Karim have answered so many questions for me and they make things clear and understandable. The topics they cover can range anywhere from doing good deeds, deceptions of the shaytan (devil), musical instruments and so much more!! There are other imam's and brother's who come in and give very well thought out, educational lectures. We even have a sister, Umm Jannah, who teaches us Arabic lessons online and she gives the sister's a chance to recite and she helps correct their mistakes, which is so important because the last thing we want to do is recite the prayer wrong!

I couldn't have been more blessed to have been introduced to a website to help me learn. I pray that the website continues to prosper and that many more sister's who are looking for a place to learn more will come to the website and get inspired.





No comments:

Post a Comment