Pages

Friends

Creating friendships is a lot easier when you are young. You trust easily and if it's recess time, the more you have the better it is. While in elementary school it didn't matter who was popular, that was something that was created when you got into middle school. In elementary school you looked for someone who was fun to hang out with, someone who you can laugh with.

As I grew older I realized friends were being picked on how they looked. It might not be true for all people but I realized the more popular group was a lot more good looking. I never fit in that group but I also never fit into any group while growing up. I realized that the friends I had were good enough for me and we were not associated with any type of group. Although some might say I was with a group of nerds, but I didn't think so. I think my friends were cool. I still think my friends are cool. I didn't care what other's thought of me because I knew I had the best group of friends that I could ever ask for and I wouldn't change that for the world.

The friends I had in elementary to middle school to high school, even in college, were all different. I didn't keep the one friend I had in elementary school all the way to high school like some would say. It was like I changed group of friends as we changed schools. However, I still consider them all my friends despite not hanging out with them as much I did in the past. I think as we all grow older we change our styles and attitudes and that is what contributes to different groups of friends. The group of friends I have now is not the same that I had in the past. I can honestly say that I never held a grudge against any of my friends, nor have I ever had any fights with any friends that resulted in a loss of friendship.

I admit, I still talk to some friends I had grown up with. For instance, I work with Pam and we hang out all the time for lunch but working together has helped us to stay in contact and hang out with each other during the week. I think we understand each other despite what other's might think of us. I also have my middle school BFF Lydia who still talks to me and we still have mutual respect for each other. Lydia has been there for me through a lot of changes I faced as I grew older. It's no lie that BFF's are forever. She is still there for me even though we haven't seen each other in years. My high school BFF was Melissa and Hilda. We are still in contact but I haven't seen them in years as well. We have all gone in different paths. I have many BFF's. I think I got blessed to have so many friends who wanted to be best friends with me. In college I was lucky to meet the best group of friends that I still admire and talk to today. Even though we are all in different states, we still have a tight bond with each other and I will never forget my college BFF's Abby, Steph and Chris. Even now, I have created new relationships with friends at work. Keeping a close bond to those at work can benefit you in the long run. You never know which friend of your's will be the one to help you with your work load or give you an excellent reference.

I think friendship as you grow older gets a little more complicated. You don't trust easily and you want someone who you have the same interests as you. You tend to find someone who is easy to talk to and someone who has gained your trust. You find someone who makes you happy. At work I found that in a few of my fellow co-workers.

My daughter has several best friend's as well. I see her playing with her friends and it makes me happy that she is not just happy with just one best friend, she is happy with many best friends. The group of friends she is with is the same group she has been with since kindergarten. Her classmates have been the same throughout her school years. I think it's wonderful. This group of girls have become really close that they know each other's personality, what they like and where they are from. They know each other's family as well. I know who the parents are and I feel comfortable talking to them. I think all her friends come from a wonderful family. My daughter makes friends easily. She isn't afraid to play with someone new. I think at this age they are still very loyal to each other but they are also not afraid to gain new friends.

I still have many groups of friends. I hope as my daughter grows older she can realize that friends can come and go as they please but your true friends are the ones you are going to remember for a lifetime and will carry their friendship for years to come, whether they are near or far. They can also come from many different places. I hope that she has many and many more friends that she can call her best friend. It's hard to only have one best friend because in reality you can have many, all which help you with different purposes and when you have a tight relationship with them, they won't worry about jealousy issues because the reality of it is that we all many friends which we can trust and depend on.

I know I haven't kept up with many of my friends from my school days (elem, mid, high or college) or my work friends but I just want to let them know that I love them all. If it wasn't for you being my friend, I don't know how life will be with out you. You have all inspired me to become much better than what I am, to achieve higher goals, to stay true to my family and to love what I have and what I will gain in the future. Thank you for always being there for me, to hear me vent or to hear my joys. You will always have a special place in my heart. Friends are forever after all right?

No comments:

Post a Comment